16 March, 2020

Blender Python Tutorial: Custom Drawing [Operator/Panel] - bpy



In this video, we will be looking at improving the layouts of our Operators/Panels. 


By default operator properties use an automatic user interface layout. If you need more control you can create your own layout Function. It works like the Menu and Panel Draw Function.

Check out the Blender API for Custom Drawing here.

There are many ways in which we can alter or change the layout of our operator and I just wanted to share some basic improvements to make our Operators and Panels look much better. 


You can download version 1.01 of the Text Tool Add-on here

We can add information, to tell the user if something is activated or display an icon. We can also restrict the visibility of text or Properties. I wanted to show the "Extrude Value" when the Extrude Boolean is Checked, otherwise the Property should be hidden.

I think small improvements like this to the layout not only make it look more appealing but it also helps the user understand what they are seeing. They are also not bombarded with tons of features or options that they might not even need.


I hope you find this tutorial helpful! and I hope you are enjoying this series!.


6 comments:

  1. First of all a big thank you for your great turoriels.
    For info, the link to load this addon does not work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Stephan, sorry for the super late reply!.. These comments don't show up right away.

      I am glad you are enjoying these tutorials! and yeah the link has (eventually) been fixed. Thanks for letting me know!

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Link has been updated, feel free to try again.

      Delete
  3. I have just recently discovered your tutorials - I'm learning scripting in Blender for a project I've had to rush. Two points:

    1) Do you have a Patreon page or some way to contribute?
    2) It looks like something happened to the code for this. I followed the link and Google said the user had it in their trash box.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. @Tango, Sorry for the late reply. I don't have a Patreon or anything like that. If you like what I do and want to show support, just keep watching and liking :)

      As for the link, yeah it was an old version and I forgot to update this link. It has been updated now.. Hope you find it useful.

      Delete