22 April, 2019

Taipei Towers [VFX]



In this video we will be turning the Taipei 101 into a Sci-fi Energy Tower. 

Check out the Preview

We will duplicate the Taipei tower a couple of times (though this can be done in any photo editing software, I prefer to use blender incase there is any change in lighting from the camera, it would look odd if it was a single image) and then using the Animation Nodes Addon (link below) we can create an awesome stylized Energy Beam. 

Taipei Towers Tutorial

Now I should note, this is the first time I have used the Animation Nodes Addon and I am still learning how to use it. Since there are tons more nodes to use we can create a whole load of different effects. 

Now some of you may already use Animation Nodes and if you do, then you will already know how to create this Energy Beam effect. I followed along a tutorial by Chris Prenninger, so you guys should certainly check it out the tutorial here.

As I said, I am very new to this addon and would liked to have duplicated the effect two times, and I am sure any seasoned user of Animation nodes would know how to do this very easily. 

If you guys have any comments of suggestions are greatly welcome!.

So yeah, I really like Animation Nodes and will have to set some time aside to learn more about it!. 

Since I couldn't duplicate the effect as I hoped, and I did not find much information that would help, so I decided to render out the effect, then re position the Energy beam in the 3D view, then I rendered it, then re-positioned it a third time and rendered that. 
Then I rendered out the Background video and added the Energy beam in Post. 

As I said, there would certainly be a way to just duplicate the effect rather than having to do it the way I did. 

I hope you guys enjoyed this Video and if you do start using Animation Nodes, let us know what you think of it in the comments below!. 

As always, Thanks for reading!. 


You can download -

Animation Nodes by Jacques Lucke, here.  
Taipei Tower Video, here.

1 comment: